Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cafe Cortado




Cafe what?????? Despite aging in the coffee biz, and my almost-daily immersion with my coffee gods Tracy Allen of Brewed Behavior and Roberto Francisco of Boyd Coffee, this particular item on the menu board of Catalina Coffee in Houston Texas left me perplexed to the point that I had to order it to please my nagging curiosity. Nope, not in my past countless visits to the country of Uncle Sam have I heard of such... to think I've scoured the cafes of California, New England, and the Tri-State area.


For my regular blog readers, you all know well that I prefer my coffee strong - not watered-down, not drowned in milk, and definitely not too sweet or immersed with flavor of any sort. As I watched Catalina Coffee's artist/barista prepare my first crack at this particular brew,  I was pleased to learn that the espresso-based drink that's been a staple in my humble abode for the past 5 years is actually called a Cortado (Spanish word meaning "to cut/reduce") - that is, a shot of espresso (1-ounce) tempered with a dash of warm milk (2-ounces). Take note that "warm" milk is used instead of "frothed/foamed" milk, which morphs the drink into a Cafe Macchiato.



Coffee snob or not, it is humbling to know that despite our perceived industry expertise and/or age, indeed we discover something new daily. Cheers to learning!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment